It’s no wonder that Ulster County has become a preferred place for second home buyers. Here are some reasons why weekenders love Ulster County:
1. It’s close enough to the New York Metro area, but far enough away from it. Ulster County is very accessible from anywhere in the New York City Metro area via the New York State Thruway. There are three exits on I-87 in Ulster County: New Paltz, Kingston & Saugerties. It makes Ulster County ideal for a weekend of privacy & relaxation or even commuting part or full time to points south.
2. The abundance of outdoor activities. City-dwellers are looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the urban environment. The Shawangunk Mountains and the Catskills boast some great places to hike, bike & fish. Ulster County also has several different Rail Trails which are perfect for exercising.
3. Access to the Arts. Ulster County has a very active art scene, most notedly in New Paltz, Kingston & Woodstock. Artists, writers, sculptors, actors, photographers and many more have made Ulster County their home.
4. Good Vibes & Good Produce. The population is very eclectic, conservation minded and Green. Organic fruit & vegetable farms in Ulster County provide popular & tasty local produce. Pick-your-own orchards are hugely popular in New Paltz, Highland & Marlboro, especially in the fall during apple season.
5. The Festivals & Events. From the Soapbox Derby in Kingston to the Garlic Festival in Saugerties to the Pickle Festival in Rosendale and the Ulster County Fair in New Paltz, Ulster County has some kind of fun going on year round.
We’ll there you have it–these are just a few of the good reasons why you should consider picking Ulster county as a place to buy a second home.